"'I'm weak but I'm getting stronger'" was a quote from Ritz's "The Last Days of Brother Ray" and is a quote that embodies the type of man and musician Ray Charles was. The piece by Ritz describes his interactions with Ray Charles from 1975 till Charles's death in 2004. In reading about Charles, I have begun to realize that he was the type of person I strive to be: a person who is not only completely honest to others about my feelings and beliefs but also completely honest with myself. Too often, people lie to themselves about why they are doing something and exclude their morals and beliefs from their decision-making. This type of decision-making often leads to stress and sometimes regret that could create negative consequences that the person may have deal with for the rest of their lives. As seen in the reading, Ray Charles was brutally honest to others about his feelings and was probably brutally honest with himself. As a result, Ray was able to die without any burdens or grief and die with a peaceful mindset. I have realized that sometimes in life you must forego your desires and wishes in order to stay true to yourself and stay true to what you believe in. Ultimately, having mental tranquility and leading a life without regret are the keys to true joy and happiness in life and will enable you to eventually die in peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment